Monday, March 26, 2012

Did we win?

Before Jack was born, before we were married, before we were engaged, back when Mike and I were that high school couple that never sat together at youth group... I had a dream.

Mike and I were both officials for the YMCA through high school and college. It was a dream job if you love the Texas heat and enjoy being criticized by adults who had a way worse view than you. We loved the kids and getting to be a part of sport and liked that we could work only the hours we chose. I mostly officiated baseball and Mike did soccer, baseball and I think some basketball too. I would go to the soccer fields when he was reffing and watch him blow the whistle and throw out parents. Nothing is more attractive. During those moments a dream was born.

I imagined myself sitting in a lawn chair on the sidelines of a soccer field on a cool Saturday morning with a stroller parked next to me where the little one would be contently eating goldfish and sipping apple juice. I'd look across the field to the opposite sideline where I'd see Mike, clipboard in hand, coaching his heart out. Our son would be the kid on the field that had just been credited with an assist and was now helping up an opponent that had fallen to the ground. I'd cheer for our team in celebration of their most recent point then sip on my still hot coffee. The fresh air would be both invigorating and relaxing at the same time. What better way to spend a Saturday morning...

It was a dream.

A dream I have been dreaming for 10 years.

This fall it was to be realized!

Except...

It wasn't exactly like that.

It was more like this:

"Jack! Have you found your cleats?"
"Well, where did you put them after practice last week?"
"You can't find your socks either?... Oh! I know where they are, they are still in the washer." "They are just a little damp, you can wear them!"
"You have to wear them! We don't have any others."
"Mike, is it supposed to be over 110 again today?"
"It is? Awesome."
"Did you grab your water?"
"Mike! Is the stroller and the snacks and the chairs and the kids drinks all in the van?"
"How long does it take to drive there?"
"We are late already??"
"Tell me it's not our week to take the team snacks!"
...
"Quick Jack, run with dad to the field."
"Mike, do you know where field 5 is?"
"OK, call me when you find it and we'll head over there."
"Hurry Jack, the game is about to start!"
"Ty, you can't ride in the stroller, I need your seat to hold the chairs."
"Ty, keep up with me, we are missing the game. They only play for 40 minutes."
"Hello, Mike? Did you find the field? It's not near field 6? On the other side of the complex? Ok, we'll turn around and head your way."
"Ty, we didn't bring you a chair, you sit in the stroller and watch the game."
"Ty, you are in my seat. Ok, I guess you can sit there. I'll sit on the ground."
"It is so hot! Mike did you grab the waters out of the van? We have one bottle? Great!"
"Ty! Don't pour the water on the ground!!! That is all we had to drink!"
"I'm sorry Austin, we don't have any wa-wa. We'll get you some later."
"GOOooooo JACK!!"
"No, Austin, you can't get out of your seat."
"Come on Turbo!!"
"Austin, you can't play with that ball, it's just for the big boys."
"What's that Ty? You need to go potty?"
"Ok."
"I'll take him Mike, you watch Jack since you couldn't make that last two games."
"Ty, I told you not to touch anything in the restroom! Especially the toilet seat!"
"Wash with soap."
"Don't touch the door, I've got it."
"No, we are not buying a Powerade."
"Baby, can you walk any faster? We are missing the game!"
"We're back, did we miss much Mike?"
"Oh, that's it? It's over?"
"Did we win?"

That was how it actually went --and that was on the days when Mike was there to help.

Did we win? Yes. We did. We won every game except for the ones we tied --according to Jack. We would think about what sort of pep talk we would need to give our son who has been known to get really upset when he didn't win at something. We never needed to give the "You tried hard and that's all that matters" speech. He came over to us after every game and announced that they had won. Either we need to work on his counting skills or I don't understand scoring in soccer. Doesn't matter. We never corrected him, we'll working being a good loser next season.

Jack had a phenomenal coach and his experience this fall has left him wanting to play next season. So, until then, I will keep the dream alive. Maybe one day I'll be sipping hot coffee on a cool morning while relaxing in my lawn chair watching my studly husband inspire the athletes of tomorrow.

Maybe.















1 comment:

Lisa said...

Great story and soooo very true!