Wednesday, December 10, 2008

doctor visit


This morning started off at 2 am. Jack woke up, don't know why and came crying down the hall toward our room. An hour later we had his coughing under control and he was back asleep-this time on our floor.

I woke again at 7 ish and couldn't speak. My voice was gone. I made some hot tea, which helped, but come 8:30 when I was about to call Jack's pediatrician I realized that I still couldn't speak above a whisper. I had to warm up my voice in order to be able call the Dr. about my son's red swollen eye. Ha.

Before going to the appointment Jack and I had talked about how nice doctors are and how they help make us feel better. Jack would say things like, "Yeah, the monkeys."

(Mamma called the Doctor and the Doctor said, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed)

We go to the base clinic for shots so apparently this was the only thing on his register about doctors. And he was expecting monkeys to be there.

We pulled up to the doctors office at 2:30 for a 3:00 appointment. I wanted to be sure Jack had enough time to touch everything in the waiting room before going back for his appointment. Oddly enough, there was only one other child in the whole place. Wierd, for December -right after a cold front blew in. You would think every child with the sniffles would be there. Not so. I kindof felt like I was in one of those action movies where some epidemic has swept over the whole town and you are one of very few people alive. -Maybe I was exagerating, but the thought did flow though my mind.

Jack kept looking around for the monkeys.

He was not comfortable AT ALL with the doctor looking in his eye or his ears. Then things calmed down when she got done with his exam. As we were leaving I told him how nice that doctor was and that they were now friends. He says, "the monkeys my friends."

What?

I don't know.

We pulled into the house and Mike saw Jack. He said, "Hey Jack, what did the Dr. say?"

Jack's response:
"No more monkeys... [ jumpin on the bed.]"


On another note. Today was the day that we had planned to go Christmas caroling with the AWANA girls. 28 degrees.

No, that's not a music group, its the temperature, in Fahrenheit.

I was calling these old ladies today, asking them if we could come and sing. -Did I mention I had next to no voice all day. I can only imagine what they are thinking.

1. How the heck is SHE going to sing.
2. What? I ain't letting her in my house, she's sick!

Either way, I assured them that we would stay OUTSIDE and that I would be bringing young girls to sing. I attempted, but not much came out.
The girls were a blessing to the old folks and the old folks were a blessing to my girls, and I was blessed by all of them and my increadible staff of AWANA leaders. Man, God is good.

What a day.






No comments: