Sunday, December 7, 2008

What Is Christmas all About?


Today Jack and I went out on a mission. To buy a book about Baby Jesus.

First stop: Hastings. No Baby Jesus book. Hastings had about 20-25 other books about various minor characters in the Christmas scene, but none about our Savior's birth. Odd.


Family Christian Book Store had several to chose from and we picked out two, used a coupon and still probably paid wait too much.


We also were looking for a kid-friendly nativity set. Couldn't find one. When I was growing up Mom and Dad had a plastic set that we played with all Christmas season -for years. Can't find anything like it. Apparently there is a "Little People" Nativity -made by Fischer Price. The girl at FCBS said that they sold out of that instantly.


Why can't we find sets for our children to play with?


How else (besides reading books) am I going to teach him and let him become familiar with the story of Jesus? I supposed I could get a DVD, but then that's more time spent watching TV.


What's the deal people?


If anyone knows where I can get an indistructable nativity set, let me know.


-Mom, the set you got us is good, but it doesn't have tons of characters and I've already had to rewing and angel.

3 comments:

the nelsons said...

my mom ordered the little people nativity set for the grandkids online!

The Baker Family said...

Isabella & Jack have the Little People nativity set (http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=900002&e=storeproduct&pid=46068&section=tod_lp_toys). I also purchased them the Wise Men set on the Fisher Price website. It was pricey, but worth it! Isabella loves playing with it.

Also, we love the Christmas books "What is Christmas?", "Little Lost Donkey", "The Christmas Story", and "A Little Child's Story of the Nativity." (All board books)

Amanda said...

I love nativities and have three different ones my boys can play with. One has fabric characters (bought it at Hobby Lobby years ago), one is plastic characters about the size of army men (don't remember where I got it - probably would be a choking hazard for Ty anyway), and the last one is a VeggieTales nativity. I saw one of the VT ones at Lifeway the other day as well as a very cute wooden one that I hope to purchase after Christmas. Hope you can find something for your boys. Kids are such hands-on learners.