Thursday, March 4, 2010

Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road


This past Sunday I got to accompany Lawson and Caroline to their church in Austin. Their pastor, Matt, brought up this passage in his sermon:


These commandments [10 commandments] that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
-Duet. 6:6-9

This is one of my favorite passages.

As a Christ-follower, my goal in parenting is that by the time my children are grown they will be well aware that they are sinners, that their sin keeps them from being able to spend eternity with God, and that following Jesus is the only way to be made right in God's sight.

And I want them to chew with their mouth closed, say thank you and eat their vegetables.

So, I am always looking for opportunities to educate my little boys on "Who God is."

At this age, these conversations don't always go as you plan.

In the car on the way home from AWANA, Jack tells me again his verse for the night. Then he says:


Jack:
"God loves me.
God will protect me from all the bad things."

Me (not wanting my child to grow up believing in the prosperity gospel):
Well Jack, God does love you, and he promises that He will always be with you.
Even when things are bad, He will be with you. He will be with you when things are hard."

Jack:
Oh! My new climbing thing is hard!"

Ty:
"Dump trucks are hard!"

Me:
"Uh, right."

There are some evidences that the boys are developing an understanding of who God is. As was shown in a little conversation the boys had tonight:

Ty:
"God made boys."

Jack:
"And Girls."

Ty:
"And sheep! And cows!"

Jack:
"God made all the animals."

Me:
"Ty, what is your favorite thing God made?"

Ty:
"Everything!"

Jack:
"God made everything!"

Ty:
"And sheep!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes - He did make sheep - And He is the great shepherd