Friday, November 14, 2008

Why I dislike blogging

It is true. I don't like blogging.

I am thinking of quitting.

It has become a little bit of a creative outlet for me to type on this blog, but I don't like what has become of you since I have started.

What has become of you?

Yes, that's what I said.

Because I DON'T KNOW "What has become of you."

No one calls me to see what is going on because they can read it all right here. You can think things like: "I'll call Becca and see what she did today. No! Wait, it would save a lot of time to just see what she wrote on the blog."

Yeah, are you guilty?

Think about it... Mom. Mema. I don't know who all reads this, but you too may have stopped calling me.

I have been guilty about it as well. So sorry Ashleigh. I need to call you. I have no excuse but laziness. I love you and want to talk to you but I'm lazy. It will stop. I will call.

Blogging is a one-sided conversation. There is no fellowship, there is no encouragement (unless you post -which you don't), there is nothing about community which is VERY important for believers. Especially those who are without a husband half the time. (or in my case, 2/3 the time.)

So I don't think it is Biblical for us to get in this rut of only reading about other people's lives. Heck, they have novels for this. And there are MANY more interesting stories of people's lives than mine. So maybe a novel is for you. I hope not. I hope you will instead get up off the computer and call someone you love. Ask them about their day and live in community with them. It doesn't have to be me. I can just call a sister when I'm feeling like nobody wants to talk to me. -They don't have a choice. I just keep calling and bugging them till they answer (right Caroline?)

I asked for accountability for Scriptures that I have been memorizing.

No one has asked me to quote it to them.

I can. I've gotten it down and am working on another set of verses from Ps. 119.

I said that I wasn't going to get on here unless I had already spent time in Scripture. I have done it. Mike left this morning (5:30) for a week. I'll see him next Thurs. So I got up and did my quiet time early.



Here is the passage I am working on memorizing.

Blessed Lord, teach me your rules.
I have recited your laws,
and rejoiced in them more than in riches.
I will meditate upon them and give them my full respect.
I will delight in them and not forget them.
Ps. 119:12-16
I am hoping that someone will ask me to quote it for them. I am not done with it yet. I just started this morning and my head isn't what it used to be. (I am sure some of you are saying 'Amen' to that one)

I will decide on the fate of "Becca and the boys" don't know yet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thought.....

I haven't stopped calling you, just fyi. :)

Technology begs many questions about how believers should live. Some reject it totally, some embrace it too fully, I believe. There is probably a happy medium in there somewhere.

beccaellis said...

Yep, I guess so. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with technology as long as it is done in moderation and you don't neglect all the other important things you do. It can be as lots of other things, a stumbling block or a tool.

And you are right, you haven't stopped calling :-)

Anonymous said...

Well Becca, I did not take you up on your scripture accountability because it would make me feel pressured that *I* should be faithfully working on it too.
I am ashamed of myself. Let's do it.
You will have to be strict (but still nice!) with me though. I have a bad track recored of starting something like this and then NOT following through with it.
Love ya cuz,
Sarah

beccaellis said...

Sarah,

I didn't intend to make anyone feel guilty, that's the Holy Spirit talking to you, not me. I only wanted to show you how I struggle with Scripture memory and how I need your help to encourage me. I am psyched that you want to do it with me. But don't do it on my account:

Chuck Swindoll wrote, “I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture. . . . No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends! Your prayer life will be strengthened. Your witnessing will be sharper and much more effective. Your attitudes and outlook will begin to change. Your mind will become alert and observant. Your confidence and assurance will be enhanced. Your faith will be solidified”

Dan, Ashleigh - Izzie and Levi said...

I completely understand! And don't worry about calling. You and I both post comments pretty frequently so it feels like I get to chat with you even when I don't have to sit down and talk on the phone.

Anonymous said...

Great quote Becca! Thanks for passing it on.
Love to you and the boys, and I will see you next week!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs! I especially look for pictures. It helps those of us who live outside of Texas be connected to your daily life!
PS- Do you check your missed calls?
Mema